What is psychotherapy?
Psychotherapy is a process that helps you to
- feel better about yourself through understanding your thoughts and feelings
- gain a deeper understanding of yourself
- clarify your wishes and desires
- thrive in your workplace and in more intimate relationships
Why do people visit psychotherapists?
Clients who come for psychotherapy are experiencing a wide variety of issues in their lives. I often see clients who are struggling with
- Anxiety, phobias
- Self-esteem issues
- Relationship difficulties, separation, divorce
- Child/family issues including abuse
- Transitions, loss
- Emotional issues, health issues, weight/eating issues
- Work/career issues
How can psychotherapy help?
As a psychotherapist, I can help you to explore issues and difficult feelings that you believe are holding you up in your life. The psychotherapy process also
- clarifies your thoughts and feelings
- can make sense of symptoms/behaviours/difficulties which are holding you back
- attempts to explain the irrational
- is about telling the story of your life and creating a new one
- helps you to speak for yourself
What can you expect in psychotherapy …
Initial visits with a therapist can be anxiety provoking. It can be hard to open up to someone you don’t know, and the thing you wish to talk about may bring up a lot of difficult feelings. I offer an understanding and empathic environment in which you can explore issues and feelings that may be holding you back.
During a first visit we’ll get to know each other a little in a safe and respectful environment. I will try to get a sense from you of what you would like to achieve in therapy.
I work in both in short-term and long-term therapy open ended therapy modalities. This is decided in collaboration with each client though sometimes the length of therapy is determined as we go along.
Through our work distressing symptoms such as anxiety and depression can be alleviated and your self-esteem will improve along with your capacity to love, work and enjoy life.
Contact me to arrange an appointment.
What is psychoanalysis?
Psychoanalysis is a process that deals with all of the same issues and struggles that psychotherapy addresses. But because psychoanalysis involves more frequent sessions, it allows you to go deeper in the work, transforming your life through a deeper understanding of personality issues that may be holding you up.
To set up an appointment …
To set up an appointment at my downtown Toronto office or to find out more information, you can call me at 647.282.3943 or email me.